Loop: Scooploop Tech Support

• Ryan T @RyanT St Albans updated 1 month ago

Tracking Cookies

The SL site has two tracking cookies -
    1 - Google and 1 - Facebook analytics.
    Both of which my Avast Online Security and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials extensions block.
    • I'm not sure the Google one is what you think it is. Google Analytics is a mechanism for the site ow..

• 'Facebook Connect' is the name of the other cookie. I don't have any more info on that at the moment..

• Having read the Wikipedia article about it, I'm not sure whether I should be concerned or not. I don..

• Non-tech general comment.

All these ways of tracking us purport to be helpful;that`s a moot point! ..

• @Kr... - been there too. You could try using DuckDuckGo as a search engine -- it's included..

• Regardless of purpose, IMO tracking cookies are a deliberate invasion of a persons privacy and I use..

• @Pe... @Ry... Maybe time to clear my cookies?! Might try DuckDuck Go Peter.

• @Kr...

I dumped Google a few years ago and have used DuckDuckGo as my search engine ever s..

• I didn't find DuckDuckGo good for me, still trying to get rid of it - but I am totally non-technical..

• @Ry... - I think I regard them as an inevitable result of the web's evolution. Having said that, by ..

• @Pe... I'll give DuckDuck Go a go

• @Se... What didn`t you like Selsey?

• @Kr... - said various sites were not safe (i.e. Wilco) so had to come out then try again wi..

• This is what my DuckDuckGo tracker-blocker finds.

• @Se... - well, it is a search engine, so it's likely to show the results page rather than jump stra..

• I don't want to confuse the issue but I've Ghostery which seems to do much the same? Recommended on ..

• Yes, @Se... , I use Ghostery and have probably recommended it. As has been noted on the Wikipedia p..

• @Pe...

Ghostery ? Is it a tracker ? see -

https://lifehacker.com/ad-blocking-extension-ghostery-ac..

• Generally are cookies a bad thing? Can there be a sinister reason for them or just for targeted adve..

• @So...

Who knows ? Best to block trackers and be on the safe side.

I do not like anybody trackin..

• @Ry... you know when you go on a site now they ask you do you accept all cookies or there's an optio..

• @So...

I say YES for their site and let my blockers contradict it by blocking them, which they d..

• @So...

Many sites display a panel saying about my ad-blocker and if I do not disable it for them..

• @Ry... - someone has to pay for the web, so if you can somehow improve advertising so that it pays, ..

• @Pe... I still can't quite understand the problem that people have with tracking and cookies or am ..

• @So... I really have no problem with them, ads pop up all over the place but I just ignore them.

• @So...

You don't recognise the anti-privacy and anti-social indications of tracking peoples acti..

• @So... - cookies are an essential part of everyday web experience. Many sites will use them in so..

• I tend to do the same as Ryan, allowing 'essential' cookies only. I never bother going through the l..

• @Pe...

Nobody with any knowledge of computer's would dispute the necessary presence of harmless co..

• @Bo... No I don't either. I'm just trying to find out if cookies and tracking is just for adverts if..

• @Ry... you still haven't answered my question is it just for advertising

• @So...

Tracking cookies are ad-intensive, but if you don't care about countless global sites inc..

• @So... - mainly targeted advertising, yes, but the data collected can be used to build a picture ..

• @Ry... To be honest I don't care who knows what sites I go on, it's not as if they are going to blac..

• Tracking cookies can detect your email address. I used to get countless dozens of scam emails on my ..

• @Pe... well I'm not on Facebook..... But all political campaigns manipulate the voter to suit their..

• @So...

Each to his own mate, if you don't care who knows what about your browsing habits - then ..

• @Ry... I'm a curious bugger, I want to travel to the end of the yellow brick road and see what's beh..

• @So...

Like I said - good luck. I would rather know what is behind the curtain before I get ther..

• @So... Assuming you don`t care they are kinda following you.... one of the problems is they keep ..

• @Kr... I don't seem to have problems with that maybe it's because I delete all my data dail..

• @So... How do you get that ?

• @Bo... this is on my smartphone. but you can do it on your laptop from your browser. click on histor..

• @So... - trouble is, the info about where you've been is stored in the cloud, so clearing your br..

• @So... Done but now I have to log in to every site again

• @So...

After the horse has bolted !

The trackers got all your details while you were live on the..

• @So... won't be doing that again, took me ages to get everything back to normal - good job all my..

• @Bo... I did it earlier - and same problem. Had to sign in to everything again so won't be doing it ..

• @Ry... I'm honestly not saying this just to argue with you, but I don't get spam and if cookies a tr..

• @Se... @Bo... Sorry ladies..... I have the remembered sign in option takes seconds.

• @Bo... and @Se...

VERY IMPORTANT - when using any cleaning program, in your browser or otherwise, ..

• @Ry... that wasn't on the options list

• @Bo... no, it wasn't, agree with you.

• @Bo... I should have told you to uncheck the password box. This is from my laptop...

• @So... The passwords option wasn't on mine, nor the autofill bit.

• @So... Found it in advanced not basic

• @Bo... it might have been hidden did you scroll up and down?

• I use CCleaner or Bleachbit to clean my PC every single night before shutdown for a clean start the ..

• I cleared my history and scanned and deleted all cookie so how is it that when looking at a newspape..

• @Bo...

You may have cleared your cookies etc. but as soon as you go back live on the Internet your ..

• But surely clearing my history should have done something, otherwise what's the point of doing it ?

• @Bo... when you go on a site they give you an option whether to accept all their trackers and cookie..

• @Bo...

The point is that you clear your PC of stored trackers to start again with a clean sheet. if..

• For Heavens sake its not rocket science. No need for a big discussion.

Trackers steal your personal ..

• If you are paranoid about trackers and your privacy, then use Opera as your browser with its free VP..

• @Bo... - no idea. I suspect some people clear history /cookies on browser close, but that many, many..

• My default browser is Microsoft Edge, almost identical to Chrome and is a superb browser. It has thr..

• Good morning

We would just like to let everyone know that we use few methods to optimise the sites ..

Loop Description

Scooploop Tech Support

Scooploop tech support for bugs or feature requests related to Scooploop.

Popular Topics