• Derek R @DerekR Mod Iver Heath - 4y

Your regular update from Martin Tett, Leader of Buckinghamshire Council

Dear Resident,

I’m really pleased to tell you that we are now in a position to restart our garden 'Green Waste' collections. These will resume from the week starting Monday 11 May. I know many of you have asked about this so I’m delighted to be able to give you some good news.

We are also standing ready to reopen five of our Household Recycling Centres, as I know many of you are as keen as we are to have this service restored too. However, while we are ready to go, this is a bit more complicated as we still have to wait for the government to change the Guidance so that journeys to these facilities will be classified as ‘essential travel’.

Otherwise, residents run the risk of being stopped by the police, fined and told to return home. This would be a dreadful position into which to put either residents or the police.

Once open, these sites will also be operating with strict ‘supermarket style’ rules to make sure social distancing is maintained. When this is all clarified we really hope to be able to move forward quickly and I will update you as soon as I am able to.

We have been working hard behind the scenes to get these services back up and running for you as quickly as possible and I want in particular to thank all of our staff currently working in our waste collection teams for all that they are doing to keep this frontline service going.

Please keep using local health services if you need to
    I have mentioned this in previous emails but it is so very important that we cannot say it enough. NHS services across Buckinghamshire are still here and are still safe to use for health reasons other than coronavirus. This includes hospital Emergency Departments and GP services. Attendance is lower than usual and we don’t want people who might need medical advice or treatment to be nervous about using NHS services if they normally would.

Serious issues like heart attacks and strokes need to be treated quickly so if you or a family member has symptoms of either - or any other serious health condition - please don’t delay getting help via A&E or 999 in a medical emergency. Buckinghamshire’s hospitals are carefully managing the flow of patients with coronavirus symptoms so they are separated from other patients - keeping everyone as safe as possible.

Similarly, by not using GP services now if they need to, people may find themselves with more serious health concerns later on - particularly in cases where they may be living with long-term conditions, like diabetes or heart disease, or when vulnerable adults or children may need support. Surgeries are closed for walk-in appointments, but you can phone in to arrange a telephone consultation (or use the AskNHS app).

Applauding our unpaid carers
    I want again to draw attention to the absolutely vital job all carers are doing at the moment. This includes care homes, care services to residents in their own homes, and of course, the very many unpaid carers looking after family members and loved ones.

We are so grateful to all the parents, partners, and families who support their loved ones so they are able to stay living at home.

In Buckinghamshire we have nearly 50,000 adult carers as well as hundreds of young carers, all looking after someone close to them. Life is especially hard for them right now with access to day centres and regular activities curtailed because of the social distancing measures.

If you are a carer who is struggling to cope in the current circumstances, please don’t suffer in silence. There is a lot of help out there. Local charity Carers Bucks offers support to carers of all ages and has information and advice around coronavirus.

Our local community hubs are also able to offer support and assistance however it’s needed from food supplies to delivering medicines and much more. You can also call us on ‪01296 383 204‬ if you are concerned about a vulnerable person you care for or if you’re worried about a family member, friend or neighbour.

Rothschild Foundation – thank you!
    I want to say a huge thank you to the Rothschild Foundation for the incredibly generous donation they’ve made to help local community organisations responding to the coronavirus crisis. The Foundation has given £50,000 to the Buckinghamshire Council Coronavirus Crisis Fund.

This has now been added to the initial £250,000 pot which was set up for councillors to support local community groups that are aiding local people during the crisis, either by helping vulnerable residents or by providing services that enable people to stay at home.

Registered not for profit organisations and charities (not individuals) can apply for grants of up to £2,000. For those groups not registered, the funding can be paid to the local parish or town council, or a local charity. All applications need to be made by your local councillor and details of who your councillor is can be found here.

#ProudofBucks - Bernie the bus helps restock local foodbanks
    We have seen another outpouring of generosity by residents in a number of Buckinghamshire villages, who’ve been donating food for local foodbanks thanks to a collection effort co-ordinated by local volunteers and some of my council colleagues.

Bernie the community bus usually serves by carrying elderly and vulnerable passengers around the villages in Aylesbury Vale, but during the past week he’s been ferrying much-needed groceries collected from generous village residents left at the end of driveways for Bernie to pick up.

My thanks and gratitude goes to the volunteers who’ve led this effort, co-ordinated by my councillor colleagues, Paul Irwin, Ashley Waite and Angela Macpherson. Together they’ve walked more than 35 miles, visited 12 villages and collected around 300 baskets and boxes of food and toiletries.

This has allowed them to replenish the stock at the Aylesbury Vineyard Church foodbank after it ran low. Bernie will be collecting again next week, and it’s great to see this brilliant #ProudofBucks example, one of many that I know are ongoing right across the county.

Business rates retail relief
    I’m pleased to be able to tell our local businesses that the expanded business rate retail relief – announced by the government in response to the coronavirus pandemic – is being automatically applied to business rate accounts. Updated bills are being sent out over the next week.

This means that many retail, hospitality and leisure businesses and organisations will not have to pay business rates between 1 April 2020 and 31 March 2021. This includes shops, pubs, theatres, music venues, restaurants, sports clubs and village halls. It also includes estate agents and letting agents, and registered nursery providers. This discount applies to all of these eligible businesses and organisations regardless of their size or rateable value.

No application is required but any retail, hospitality or leisure business or organisation that does not get an updated bill, but believes they should get relief, should contact:

Tel: ‪01296 585299‬ for businesses in the Aylesbury area

Email: localtax.wyc@buckinghamshire.gov.uk for businesses in the Wycombe area

Email: Revenue.csb@buckinghamshire.gov.uk for businesses in the Chiltern area

Email: SBDCBusinessrates.csb@buckinghamshire.gov.uk for businesses in the South Bucks area

Mark VE Day safely and respectfully next weekend
    Plans to mark VE Day have had to change and I am sure lots of you will be thinking of the community celebrations you had planned which are now cancelled.

We are putting lots of resources on our website for things to do, research, and enjoy over the bank holiday weekend, and will be working hard on our social media channels to bring the day to life.

You could also take a moment to raise a glass at 3pm on Friday 8 May for the Nation’s Toast to thank those who gave so much.

We are at a crucial point in containing the coronavirus outbreak, and both the council and the police are urging you to keep going with the social distancing measures and celebrate VE Day safely.

If you would be happy for your stories to be shared on our social media pages on VE Day (Friday 8 May) you can send them to VEDay@buckinghamshire.gov.uk or simply share them with us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram tagging @Buckscouncil.

LOOK AFTER YOUR BODY
    Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, drink enough water and exercise regularly.

This will help keep you feeling well which can also have a positive impact on your mental health.

Planning your life

May-athon!
    Can I challenge you all to the ‘May-athon’! It’s a great initiative from the NHS to keep us all moving during the month of May. It’s based around the number 26 (the number of miles in a marathon) and the idea is to do 26 unbroken minutes of physical activity every day for 26 days, starting tomorrow on 1 May.

This can take any form - gardening, jogging, biking, walking; whatever you most enjoy, going at your own level. Being active is a great way to boost our mood and relieve stress, all so important especially at this challenging time. So why not give it a go? You can find out more and download the May-athon app here.

Finally
    Do keep checking our daily video updates. They aren’t long and it’s my way of being able to give you a face to face daily update as well as having a great daily guest who goes into more detail on some of the pressing issues. You can see all the video updates so far here.

Stay safe and stay well

Martin Tett

Leader of Buckinghamshire Council

Public Notices

A place to post any official notices, to make other Scooploop members aware of the content.

Please note:

Commercial advertising is not permitted within this loop.