Group: I.T. Non-Techie help, information and tips

• Windows 7

Selsey @Selsey Hayes updated 1 year ago

I use Windows 7 and support is ending in January. I don't mind admitting I'm now getting sleepless nights about the next step as I'm definitely not computer-minded, can just do the basics. Anyone from Kahuti will probably remember I've been down this road before and am still none the wiser.
    Windows don't think it's a good idea to install Windows 10 on an old machine. I currently use an HP Pavilion all-in-one which I'm very happy with and I'm not keen on laptops although I can see I may now have to buy one with W10 on it and bite the bullet.

My queries are:
    Do I put everything on Cloud (recommended) and, once I work out how to do it, will I be able to access it from any new computer I buy?
    Best and easiest way to back up what I have here (there is a DVD slot which has never worked no matter how many different discs I try to back up with). I do have a USB 3.00 Flash Drive - do they do the same thing.

Can I still get the 'favourites' which include saving accounts, internet banking and other things I use a lot?
    Or will everything have to be installed again.
    Will I be more confused if I try and run two computers side by side for a while?

Or should I get in the professionals.

Thoughts from anyone having the same problem much appreciated. (PS I'm ancient as you can probably work out).

• Keep using your HP Pavillion. Have a good antivirus software running on your computer. With the mone..

• Thanks - would you also install Windows 10?

• No, if you're happy to continue using Win 7

• Agreed. Given your level of knowledge you'll wonder what's hit you with Win 10's layout ,its yearly ..

• Yes, I did put it on when it first came out (free) but couldn't get on with it so took it off. Will ..

• Do you recommend one - just looked up Seagate Expansion 2TB ex. 2.5" portable hard drive (£74.99) or..

• Go for the 2 TB . You'll be surprise how much space video files take.

• I have an HP Pavillion that's about 5 years old. Windows 10 installed ok

• This is 2010 - so can't complain, still looking at which hard drive to buy - they all seem to be for..

• I used click free hard drive back up when I was using windows easy to use and as long as you don't l..

• @Vi... - never heard of click free hard drive (not surprising) but have now ordered a hard drive via..

• Received the 'WD My Book desktop storage' a week ago and am now just plucking up courage to use it. ..

• Basically, yes. I think I would connect the power and then plug into the laptop, but you can probabl..

• Thanks, Peter - think I'll put it off for tomorrow now, will obviously need to concentrate. Have tri..

• This all sounds very confusing to me, i will put a new post on tomorrow that is slightly linked and ..

Group Description

I.T. Non-Techie help, information and tips

For the non-techie amongst us who may need a helping hand at times

Group Photos

Popular Topics