• Derek R @DerekR Mod Iver Heath - 2y

Chiltern South Bucks Autumn Burglary Update 2

With the dark nights upon us, we expect that the number of burglaries to increase. The impact of your home being burgled is immense both financially and mentally. Yet it is common for us to delay doing basic security things until a close friend or you are attacked. Having the time or money to buy security measures can be a reason.
    Rather that telling you to go out and spend lots of money on expensive security products I want to focus on the basics that may jut prevent you from becoming a victim.

Key Messages
    1; Keep a light on. Give your house the appearance that somebody is at home.
    2; Make sure you lock your doors. CCTV has shown that this is the first port of call for a burglar is trying the front door handle. Make sure you challenge your family if they are not doing this.
    3; Lock your gate. Stop people from having free access to the rear or side of your house.
    4; Beware of keyless car theft. Buy a Faraday box or pouch to protect them.
    5; Seen something suspicious call it in. You know your neighbourhood better than anyone else! If something is not sitting right with you, act on this and do not be afraid to call the police. If you think it could be a burglary or theft of vehicle then call 999.
    6: Become a NHW member.

A Neighbourhood Watch is a great way to get to know your neighbours so that you can build up community resilience. The scheme is free and some studies have shown that you could reduce the chance of being a victim by 25%. The scheme offers a number of offers from security firms.

One of the best ways you can help is to join or establish a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in your area. Neighbourhood Watch schemes are owned and operated by their members, supported by the Police with crime information and advice. If you’re interested then contact the Buckinghamshire Council Community Safety Team e-mail communitysafety.csb@buckinghamshire.gov.uk

A new crime reduction initiative is being piloted in the Chiltern area by Neighbourhood Watch in partnership with Thames Valley Police and supported by Buckinghamshire Council.

A team of Neighbourhood Watch volunteers have been trained as Crime Reduction Advisors (CRAs) to work with local residents to help ensure that their homes are protected from potential burglars. They will carry out home security surveys and advise on measures that could be taken to improve home security and reduce the risk of falling victim to burglary.
    Training, provided by Thames Valley Police, in assessing homes for security weaknesses that criminals are known to exploit and various crime prevention measures that can be taken to provide further protection.
    The free, confidential home security survey and assessment takes approximately 60-90 minutes. All CRA’s are experienced Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinators who’ve been CRB checked. A password will be provided which the CRA will quote to confirm their identity.
    David Alder, Neighbourhood Watch Representative for the Chilterns area, said: “We see this as a very important project. Our CRAs will be pro-actively supporting both TVP and residents in a way we have not tried before. Burglary risk remains a top concern for the local population, so I was delighted to get so many volunteers offering to take the role on. Our trained volunteers can make a positive contribution to better home security, while freeing TVP to focus on other areas of concern.”
    Inspector Richard Vine, Neighbourhood Inspector for the Chiltern and South Buckinghamshire policing area, said: “I’m really pleased to see this initiative launching in the Chilterns to help ensure our residents feel safe in their homes and confident in their home security. The impact of a burglary is incredibly far-reaching and something that I wouldn’t want anyone to experience. It is excellent to be able to work in partnership with the local Neighbourhood Watch schemes to help keep our communities safe and I look forward to hearing how this progresses.”

To request a booking form to arrange a free home security survey, email bucksnhw@gmail.com.
    On a positive ending from my last newsletter for those who may not have read it. One of our Forces priorities is to have a 15% reduction in residential burglary. Year to date I can report a 51% fall in this crime overall in Chiltern and South Bucks.

To beat the burglar we need to work, with the most important partner in tackling crime, you! the public. We all hope that you will take the first step in helping us to help you create a safer, more resilient and friendly neighbourhood for you all to live in.

Darren Walsh
    PS 3675
    Chiltern & South Bucks NHPT

Message Sent By
    Darren Walsh (Police, Sgt, Amersham)

Iver Heath

Neighbourhood loop for Iver Heath, Buckinghamshire