• Derek R @DerekR Mod Iver Heath - 3y

Chiltern and South Bucks Burglary Update 23rd October 2020

With the dark nights and mornings upon us, we expect the number of burglaries to increase during the autumn and winter seasons. As a result of this we are looking at working with residents in making their neighbourhoods safer. Analysis shows that it is criminals from around the south of England have been targeting properties in our areas.

This October we will be targeting areas of repeat burglaries in an effort in making people aware of the risks. Rather than sending out a leaflet saying get an alarm and turn your lights on I felt it more beneficial to send out this letter which will give you information in regards to current trends and techniques that burglars have been using and some cost effective measures to protect you and your family.

This week our PCSO's have completed targeted crime prevention in parts of Amersham, Burnham, Chesham, Chalfont St Peter, Denham, Gerrards Cross and Iver in the day time whilst additional patrols have been taking place in the afternoons and evenings by the constables which have already resulted in some good results.

The impact of having your house burgled is immense both financially and mentally. Yet it is common for us to delay doing things until a close friend or yourself has been subjected to such an attack. Having the time or money to buy security measures can also be a reason.

There are a host of things that we can do to make our properties safer which won't cost the earth. I am going to concentrate on 5 areas.

1: Keep your doors locked at all times. As I have shown this is the first port of call for a burglar. Challenge your family when they leave the doors unlocked. This I find is a common problem and a loud shout of burglar coming in

2: Use your Window locks. It’s all very well having window locks but are you using them. Again this is a common method of entry so let’s make sure that the burglar can’t just open it and wipe the glass away. If it is locked there will be an increased risk of DNA transfer. It’s coming into winter so let’s lock the window and have the key on a picture hook nearby.

3: Keyless car technology. Make sure that your keys are in a safe location where car thieves can’t target them. They do not even need to enter your house. Get a Faraday box for just over £10 and protect those keys.

4: Lock your gate. Stop people from having free access to the rear or side of your house.

5: Keep a light on principles. Make it looks like someone is up and around. Use timer switches, have a radio on or use a fake TV light display to give the illusion you are in. Burglars do not want to get caught and will target somewhere else.

Lets get these key areas right and make it as hard as possible for the burglars.

Your sincerely

Darren Walsh
    PS3675
    Amersham

Iver Heath

Neighbourhood loop for Iver Heath, Buckinghamshire