Group: English Expressions

• Back to square one

Tomek @Tomas Rotherhithe updated 12 days ago

Given I don't know many extraordinary expressions, I'll post more common ones - I have plenty of those.

"Back to square one" - I've always wondered why square one?
    In Polish we say "Back to the point of entry" - pretty exact explanation.

Any known origin for this one? Does it have anything to do with root square of two per chance? ;)

If you know an equivalent from any other language please put it in the comment.

• Also, sorry I changed the group name but Can of Words didn't say much, wanted to be more obvious for..

• It originates from radio commentary of football matches. The commentator had a plan of a football pi..

• @Mi... somehow it never crossed my mind it had anything to do with sport. It should have.

• I thought it had to do with the game of Snakes & Ladders when you have to go back to the beginning d..

• This website is suggesting both could be right. https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/back-to-square-o..

• @Mi... by the way I don't look at any of the websites on purpose as I find it more fun when poep..

• German equivalent could be "nochmal von vorn" ( lit: "again from the start/beginning"), it's more li..

Group Description

English Expressions

Discussions about the origins of English idioms, expressions or phrases.

Group Photos

Popular Topics