• Lonicera @Lonicera Oxshott - updated 2y

Update

Last night, Lord Forsyth’s assisted dying amendment was narrowly defeated (45% in favour, 55% opposed) after the Government instructed Conservative Peers to vote against it. The Government has done a disservice not only to dying Britons who suffer under a law that is dangerous and cruel, but also to our democracy by curtailing the debate of an issue that 84% of the general public support.

However the closeness of the vote, especially given the Government’s action, makes clear that assisted dying remains unfinished business in Parliament. The amendment didn’t ask Peers to support assisted dying in principle, but to commit Parliament to a full examination of the current law and a more compassionate alternative. The Government's refusal to facilitate the debate ignores the will of the people. If you haven’t already please sign our government petition to demonstrate the need for parliamentary time on assisted dying.

Yes, I'll sign the petition →

I want to thank everyone who wrote to Peers ahead of the vote - this contributed enormously to the significant number of new Peers who voted in favour and will have been a motivating factor for Tory Peers who broke the whip.

Having experienced the cruelty of the current law first hand during his father’s death, Lord Forsyth simply wanted the Government to give the issue the time it deserves. When a proper process for debate can happen, as it does in many other jurisdictions including in Scotland, parliamentarians are convinced by the enormous benefits of law change.

New polling published this week shows that 8 in 10 Brits want the Government to guarantee a debate before the next election. Choice in dying isn’t an idealistic or radical proposition. It is a modest reform on which the public expect and demand change.

Please, show your support today by signing our petition. If you’ve already signed, please send this link to friends and family: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/604383

Yes, I'll sign the petition →

The Government needs to know the mistake it has made in blocking this amendment. Please SIGN and SHARE our petition today, keep the pressure up, and I’ll be in touch soon to let you know what’s next.

Thank you for all your support.

Together we can change the law.

Anything !

An open Group where anything can be discussed by anybody, as long as you are polite, respect others opinions, and behave !!!