The canal opened in 1809 and originally connected #Croydon and the Grand Surrey Canal at New Cross. It was 9.25 miles long. However, the canal was never a success and already closed in 1836. The section at Betts Park was used as a boating lake, an area then called Anerley Tea Rooms.
The only bit of the canal still in existence nowadays is at Betts Park, south-east of Crystal Palace Park.