• Tony L @TonyL Epsom - updated 2y

The Marsden March 2021

Over the years I've lost a lot of friends and relatives to assorted types of cancer, so for the last few years I've taken part in the Marsden March - a 15 mile sponsored walk to raise money for the Marsden cancer charity. I usually complete the walk in just over four hours.

The Marsden Hospital also cured a friend of mine's cancer.

The March takes place every year but last year's March was cancelled due to covid 19 which resulted in a massive gap in their funding.

The current plan is to hold the March on Sunday 23rd May 2021.

If the full event takes place it'll start near the near the Marsden Hospital in Chelsea and end at the Marsden Hospital in Sutton, passing along Fulham Road, down Putney High Street, over Wimbledon Common, on to Raynes Park and through King George’s Playing Fields. Then through Nonsuch Park and Belmont, to the hospital in Sutton.

If the event can't take place due to the continuing restrictions, then there will be a Marsden March At Home event where participants walk 15 miles in their local area. I've had a play on Bing Maps and I reckon that if I walk from home to the centre of Epsom, up to Epsom Downs, on to Burgh Heath and then head home via Cheam and Worcester Park that will add up to 15 miles.

I'd like to raise as much money as I can for the charity so I'm looking for sponsorship. In the past generous people on Streetlife, then Kahuti and hopefully now Scooploop have donated funds to help me reach the target. If you can spare some cash then a donation would be very much appreciated by the Marden Charity.

You can donate online at

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/thebanhammarsdenmarch2020-tonylang

Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity.

Since 2011 the March has raised over £13 million pounds with every penny going towards funding state-of-the-art equipment, ground-breaking research, and creating the very best patient care.

This incredible amount has helped The Royal Marsden to revolutionise the diagnosis and treatment of cancer and improve the lives of people affected by cancer, across the UK and around the world.

This year the target is to raise £2 million for a very special cause - to help build the Oak Cancer Centre.

This brand-new centre in Sutton will help the Marsden to speed up the development of life-saving treatments and ensure they can be there for everyone who needs them.

The website of the Royal Marsden Cancer Charity gives a lot of detail
    about the march at

https://www.royalmarsden.org/support-us/marsden-march

Thanks in advance

Tony

Anything !

An open Group where anything can be discussed by anybody, as long as you are polite, respect others opinions, and behave !!!