• Mary @maire Wanstead - updated 2y

Progress

Anyone had great success with their fruit and veg? Or sadly any failures?
    So far had a good crop of autumn sown onions and garlic, in fact the onions grew a bit too big and some bolted but generally a success. Broad beans were not bad though did suffer a bit with blackfly and something else eating them. Potatoes seem to have done well. Courgettes are good and squashes pumpkins and cucumbers coming along.
    Failures: climbing French beans decimated by something eating them. Have sown more straight into the ground. Lettuce and rocket has been good. I don't know what went wrong with my sweetcorn, it's only grown a metre and looking very puny and sick though my plot neighbour's is lush and tall!! Peas didn't really germinate.
    Tomato and potato blight have started on site so don't hold out much hope for the toms as there are early signs but hope my spuds have escaped ( have never had potato blight before)
    My apple trees are laden and just picked a load of cherry plums from two very old trees in my garden.
    My strawberries started off well ( new raised bed started last year) but I think they were too close together and I think the rain caused many to go mouldy plus the leaves started to curl and change colour.
    How are your crops?

Allotment and Edible Gardening

This allotment and edible gardening group is to talk to like minded individuals about their experiences and plans, to exchange ideas, get advice, sharing of seeds, plugs, etc. - essentially, anything to do with allotment or edible gardening. I am also hoping we can meet up, perhaps in turns, at each other's plots. This group is open to anyone anywhere with an allotment or a keen interest in learning about allotment culture and edible gardening. As it is a relatively new group, we will also need to see how it evolves organically - very much my style of gardening, as chemical free and organic as possible :-) So far, so good ...do sign up, you'll be most welcome.